Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cinderella and the Electric Knife

I live in rural Indiana.  This is no place to be a cake snob.

I'm not one of those cake makers who will only do cakes that cost four dollars per serving.  I like to work with people and do something that fits their budget, even if that means I'm not making my personal favorite recipes.

Now, I don't make no crappy cakes.  But there are levels of wonderful.  Gum paste flowers are one thing, but that's just not what everyone wants.  Sometimes, they just want a princess cake.

Cinderella...white cake, vanilla icing, and yes, the torso of a real doll:)
I have to say, I really enjoyed making this, and envisioning a very happy little five year old girl on her birthday.

Carving that skirt tier was a challenge, and I came close to dispair more than once.  But it finally got iced and I finally got Cinderella to stay afloat up top.

Now...this was the first time I've ever dismembered a barbie-esque doll with an electric knife in my kitchen.  I had to pull her legs off to get her to fit in there, and her...um...nether-regions...were still sticking out too far to fit into her skirt.

So I pulled a Wicked Step-mother and sawed her butt off.  :)  he he

I would normally make a gumpaste topper for something like this, but I wanted to keep the cost down, and I wanted a real Disney look to her face.  So I opted for the doll...I love the finished product.  But I'll never forget my sadistic magic act in the kitchen...

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, I will saw this doll in two!!!"  Yeah...she'll really never be the same again!

4 comments:

  1. This is precious, Amy! I'm sure the birthday girl was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story. I really really love the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gang! I love getting comments:)...especially nice, encouraging ones!

    ReplyDelete