Sunday, January 30, 2011

I, Carly!

I don't watch much tv focused on the tween girl audience.  So when I was asked to make an iCarly cake, I had to do some research.

Those of you who are more familiar with this entertainment sensation can tell me if I got it right...but I think the happy little girl who got it for her birthday party was confirmation enough:).


Who Carly?  iiiiiiCarly
chocolate and vanilla buttercream,
yellow stars/screen: gumpaste

My plan was simple enough...make the computer screen out of gum paste, stick it in the cake, voila.  Little did I know that gum paste can sometimes soften when it's in direct contact with cake and icing for prolonged periods.

Bummer.

Thankfully, there is aluminum foil and plastic wrap for such occasions.  I averted last minute disaster by wrapping the bottom of the screen and it worked just fine.

Copyright infringement or artistic license?
Just a tribute to white laptops everywhere...

I'm sure I didn't do it according to the great pastry book they have at the French Culinary Institute, but I learned something.  I survived, and the cake looked pretty darn good at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment