Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Giant Ding Dong Cake

I know I said "tune in next week..." just a few days ago, but I just couldn't stay away.

Today, I'm showing you a creation I affectionately call the Giant Ding Dong.  It's chocolate cake, covered in ganache (which is essentially melted chocolate with heavy cream) and layered with real, vanilla whipped cream.

The Giant Ding Dong...and yes, that's my washing machine in the background. 
I like to keep it classy.

My Grandma Nell used to make these famous concoctions known as Whipped Cream Cakes.  They were legendary on my Dad's side of the family, and since she passed away, I've often tried to mimic her recipes.  I do it because I miss her, because it helps us remember her and because she was a wonderful cook.

The cake I made was delicious, in a death-by-chocolate, kind of way, but it was NOT a Grandma Nell Whipped Cream Cake.  I understand her creation came about as an emergency pitch-in concoction from a cake mix, a tub of cool whip and a mystery stove top icing I'm still not sure how to make.

I confess I left the cake close to the edge of the table on purpose. 
Still, my attempt was well received...at least, Andrew liked it!  Whether it was a perfect replica of a family memory or not, it made my Dad's birthday special.  And that's what I love about cake.

To paraphrase the great Ina Garten, you can be sad before you eat cake, and even after you eat it.  But you just can't be sad WHILE you're eating cake.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had a ding dong in years, but this makes me want to go out and buy one. Just one.

    And, two thumbs up for the washing machine background. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you buy just one?

    I think I might go the extra mile and throw a table cloth over the washer next time!

    ReplyDelete