Monday, December 13, 2010

Snake...On A Cake!

Last month was my husband's birthday.  He likes to say I robbed the cradle, being a whopping two years younger than me, and since I know he'll never stop thinking that's funny, I smile and nod affectionately.

This year, I wanted to do something special for his cake.  Not unlike the Giant Ding Dong Cake I posted last week, I took chocolate cake, layered it with ganache and covered it with another good coat of that chocolatey, fudgey goodness.  The cake itself was a set of stairs I carved, mostly a prop for the real work of art - Liquid Snake, of Metal Gear Solid fame. 

That's right.  I made a manly, cigarette smoking video game character out of rice krispie treats and gumpaste.  See for yourself:
Snake! Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!!!



And here's a shot of the whole shebang:

He's always ducking behind stairs or hiding in barrels so he can
shoot people in the head.  Hence the chocolate cake staircase.
I'm no fan of the video game - heck, I'm no fan of ANY video game - but my husband loves it.  It's one of his top five favorite games ever, and I love my husband.  So even if I do think video games are dumb, I am paying attention. 

6 comments:

  1. Lennon and I used to bicker constantly about which of us is older, since his birthday comes a few days earlier, but he was born early, while I was full term. He always argued that this meant he was older, while I maintained than, starting with conception, I had actually been alive longer. However, the older we get, the more willing I am to concede his point :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course, the cake is impressive as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! Amy, amazing work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany, I must side with Lennon in this to keep peace in my teepee:).

    Thank you for the nice comments, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Metal Gear!

    (That is Solid Snake by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction noted! SOLID Snake!

    ReplyDelete