Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Gumpaste Is Not Toothpaste

Have you been having one of those days?  One of those days when your to-do list is longer than your Christmas wish list, and everything feels out of balance?

That is no time to make a cake.

That is no time to try to craft something out of delicate, easily broken gumpaste.

That is in NO way time to craft something out of gumpaste with your two year old son standing on a chair next to you.

There are no pictures of the beginnings of a beautiful gumpaste bow to top my Christmas tree cake today.  No, no pictures, dear reader, because gumpaste, although a paste, is not a good substitute for toothpaste.  And somehow, my son, love of my life, thought it was important to learn that lesson first hand.

He ate it.

He ate it all.  And what he didn't eat, he licked, or spat on or chewed or otherwise mutilated.

The Gumpaste Eater


So, tomorrow I'll be at the store buying another pound of that million dollar stuff, but tonight, I've just got to ignore that defeating to-do list and laugh at the memory of my son looking up at me with yellow, blue and red gumpaste clinging to his chin and saying, "I love you, Mommy!"

4 comments:

  1. Excellent job Sir Andrew! Thanks for the laugh, Amy. Here's hoping tomorrow's efforts are less adventurous!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be worse. He could have eaten the top of a wedding cake for a client whose wedding is tonight. And how could anyone resist "I love you Mommy!"

    ~ June

    (here via your cousin Amber)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, it's impossible to be upset at that level of cute!

    ReplyDelete