Friday, June 24, 2011

VBS is Good, Hard Work! We Deserve Cupcakes!

Vacation Bible School...


Mmmmm...Snack Time!

Did you go when you were little?  I did.  But I was the Preacher's kid, so I would have had to be in the hospital or covered in some kind of contagious rash to stay home! 

I have a lot of happy memories of VBS growing up.  My personal experience meeting my Savior happened while my Dad was preaching, not during that week of summer fun, but I know a lot of people can trace the beginning of their walk with Christ back to a VBS teacher who loved them and taught them.

This week, I had my first experience as a VBS teacher.  I never, ever, ever knew how much work goes into planning a successful Vacation Bible School - it is TREMENDOUS! 

Tonight is our big finish.  I'll have about 10 kids, ages 2-3, lined up and ready to shout their memory verse: "God is love!"  For their parents, grandparents and a happy but weary team of VBS volunteers. 

That is why I'm making cupcakes. 

Fluffy PB icing with a little shaved chocolate
These kids deserve some Cake Lore - they did great, and they did great past their bedtime:).  It's going to be chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing, and it's gonna rock their faces off.

They rocked mine off last night.  My class is squirrely at best.  But last night, when I told them that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again on the third day and that if they believe in him they can have eternal life with him - they were glued to me. 

I was better than TV for a few minutes.
 
Photo Credit

Scratch that - the Gospel was better than TV. 

It is simple enough to compel the attention of a toddler, complex enough to keep us fascinated by grace and justice, mercy and love until we get to taste that sweet gift of eternal life with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment