Sunday, January 15, 2012

Best Buttercream 2.0

I've been experimenting in my kitchen.  It's a little dangerous.  It's a little crazy.  It's a lot messy.

Project numero uno on my list has been conforming what I do to Indiana's cottage laws...those are the laws that allow you to sell baked goods made in your home for profit.  I have a double plus good test kitchen at my disposal, but frankly, it's a lot of driving and a lot more overhead.  And mamma needs to make some bank.

The major issue for me is the butter cream I make.  It's an itailan merangue butter cream, which is basically a lot of egg whites, beaten and cooked slowly with boiling sugar at the soft ball stage.  It's divine. 

But ye olde health department frowns on the use of eggs, thus making it pretty much a requirement for me to be in an up to code kichen.  The rest of my menu falls perfectly within the regs, so it's kindof important for me to find a way to keep the divine while loosing the egg.

traditional itialian meringue butter cream, with real egg whites

Don't know why I didn't think of this before: HELLO, MERINGUE POWDER!

new and improved with meringue powder

Dang!  I always have a giant tub of this laying around for royal icing and gum paste glue, so why not use it like it was intended and make some icing out of it?  Well, I did it.  And it's awesome.  Dare I say, it's even slightly more awesome than the real egg version, and also quite a bit easier to make. 

Same glorious sheen, same lightly sweet flavor, same gorgeous consistency...and for whatever reason, it's also slightly whiter, which makes decorating that much easier.  We have a winner! 

left: with meringue powder, right: with real egg whites
I can see the difference, I swear.
And Bake Lore just got one step closer to a full 2012 calendar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment