I find it difficult to mope, however, when I am having so much fun.
Besides the peacock feathers I showed you yesterday, which improve with every new attempt, I thought I'd try some new gum paste cutters I got some time ago and see if they lent themselves well to making a peony.
I failed in that endeavor.
However, in place of the peony I expected, a gorgeous rose appeared! It's not the usual tight little bloom I'm used to producing. This is some other wild variety, but I love it. It's big, it's full and it bears those peacock colors beautifully.
There's so much more you can do to add color and life to a sugar flower with a paintbrush. Most often, I add the color to the gum paste and work it in well before I start forming petals, but this time, I left it white, and added layers of purple, blue and green as it dried. The result is like holding a water color painting in your hand. I love the effect.
Usually, my roses look like this:
But the new rose I stumbled upon is somehow messier and less formal, like a medieval maiden. I like them both, and they'll each serve to make a totally different kind of cake just what it should be.