Friday, January 20, 2012

Never Gonna Give You Up...

Disappointment has been a common theme for my long, hard slug to official businessdom. 

Every time it seems I'm on the cusp of seeing a real explosion in customers and opportunities, we're dealt a low blow that keeps me back. 

I had plans to create a table for my first ever bridal show this month.  Sadly, it ain't gonna happen.  I don't really want to bore my cake and business lovers with common tales of woe from my life, so suffice to say, the many elements required to pull it off were just not there.

But I hear my sister-in-law in my head, telling me to endure - be patient - tough it out - and I think, ok, that's what I'm going to do. 

I'm not trying to be a flash in the pan.  I'm trying to build a reputation, the foundation of a long-lived business.  Apparently, that means one cake, one wedding at a time and years of slow but sure progress. 

Maybe the explosion is just around the corner.  Maybe it's five years out, or maybe 20. 

I love baking, and I love decorating.  Those two things have endured the test of time, more than a passing interest or hobby.  So I'll let them cook a while until they're done in the middle.

When you need a cake, you know who to call.  I won't be the pretty display at the next bridal blowout, but I will be quietly waiting for brides who are doing thier homework and looking for a really, truly unique cake for their big day.   

And to my business, my beautiful, small, infant business, I can only repeat what the immortal Rick Astley once said...

No comments:

Post a Comment