Friday, August 19, 2011

"Saturdays:" A Work in Progress

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I'm a master at every decorating technique in the world.  The fact is that I'm 100% self-taught, and I usually put myself on a steep learning curve.

There are some skills I have down and could do in my sleep, and others are a work in progress.  I have a bad habit of reinventing the wheel when I'm in the kitchen.  I'm so curious to learn how things work I often forget to look to others who've been there and done that. 

Well, let me tell you, you can get some pretty delicious concoctions with that method - but they're not always beautiful.  Although, I'd definitely call them cute. 

Go Patriots!  Cake Pops - or Saturdays as we call 'em at Bake Lore -
to honor Terre Haute North High School, ye olde alma mater.

Why is it that I disliked high school, but harbor such strong feelings of school pride?


These are the latest greatest cake pops - every time I make these, I try a new coating.  This one is not a keeper.  Tasty though it may be, it never got thin enough to make things smooth and lovely. 

My next batch will be covered in Chocoley chocolate.  It may bump the price up a bit, but it will be worth it for a smooth finish and a reliable flavor. 

In addition - that "candy coating" in the bake isle at the grocery does NOT like food coloring.  I tried to make red and blue out of that mess and it it turned into something I thought might eat ME.  Not cool. 


So, the cake pops - or as we call them "Saturdays", cuz when you eat one, it feels like a Saturday! - are a work in progress.  That's how I have learned all my tricks so far...this one will be perfected soon.  I love the process...I love the learning curve. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, if these were your work-in-progress, I can't wait to try the mastered product. They were not only cute but SO DELICIOUS! Move over, Starbucks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they were a hit, Leshia! thanks:):)

    ReplyDelete